When you start planning a wedding, you tend to plan DIY wedding flowers after the big stuff. You set a date, book your venue, make a guest list, buy the dress/ tux, pick colors, and get a photographer. It is not until later that you start to plan details like flower decor. Many times, couples decide on DIY wedding flowers early in the planning process but not think about the flowers, colors, or placing an order for a month or two before the wedding. This is normal and even preferred! After all, flowers are part of nature, you they are cut only a few days before you receive them. Here are some suggestions that will help you plan and execute gorgeous DIY wedding flowers while keeping your stress levels down.
1. Don’t worry about flowers until you know the following information:
- Your Wedding Date – this will help you select flowers that are in season. Check out our Flower Availabilities Chart to see what is available around your wedding date. If you don’t see a flower you want on that chart that means the availability varies every year, contact BloomsByTheBox for more information.
- Your wedding theme – you can pick flowers that will match your wedding theme, you can even shop for flowers by style like vintage wedding flowers, rustic wedding flowers, classic wedding flowers, and even whimsical wedding flowers.
- Your wedding colors – you cannot begin to plan for flower arrangements until you know what colors will compliment your wedding. Remember flowers are a part of nature and certain varieties are only available in limited colors. Picking the flowers will only work once you know what colors you can use, then picking varieties to become a cake walk.
- How many arrangements you need – Once you know how centerpieces, bouquets, boutonnieres, corsages, and another decor you will need flowers for you can calculate what flowers are affordable in the quantities, you will need.
2. Pick flowers that will work for you.
- Simple is always in season- Don’t get hung up on elaborate designs. Keeping a look simple can make it look finer tuned and professional.
- Use lots of greenery- it will make your arrangements look fuller and save you money. Especially if you are planning a garden themed wedding, lush greenery can make a classy, romantic flower design.
- Get your family and friends to help – DIY’ing your flowers should be fun. Gathering your bridesmaids, family, or helpers together to be creative is a great pre-wedding activity.
3. Planning flower quantities don’t have to be difficult!
- Read our Bouquet and Arrangement Flower Quantity Chart; it will teach you how to calculate how many flowers you need to make your desired size bouquets, centerpieces, and decor.
- Give yourself a little bit of room for error. If a couple of flower stems break or do not rehydrate like others, you will want a few extra flowers.
4. Talk to Blooms!
We can help you choose flowers, pick flower quantities and so much more! We’d love to help! Question? Comment? Let us know!
This DIY flower bouquet tutorial by BloomsByTheBox.com was featured on A Practical Wedding, to see the full step by step, please see the post “How to: Make a Bright Colorful Wedding Bouquet.”